Monday 28 March 2011

Portrait of a Joel

And the winner of the inaugural 'Wonderful Indian of the Year' award is none other than.......
                                  Mr J.Joel Rajesh.

Anybody who has read more than 2 of these posts will have heard his name mentioned in passing and I felt I probably needed to devote a couple of sentences to my 'fixer' before I left.

I arrived in the country at very short notice and at a time when the regular volunteer flats were full. Step forward Joel, who provided me with a bed to sleep in. And when I say 'provided a bed', I mean he arranged for a bed to be built for me, moved out of his flat for two months and slept on his cousin's floor whilst I stayed there. Not only that, he also drove me everywhere on his bike for about 2 months and helped me negotiate the not-so-swift process of settling into Chennai by doing absolutely everything for me. Plus, he had to perform the unenviable tasks of a school administrator at the same time.

Recently, he has organised my trips away, welcomed me into his family for Christmas and bought me a bunch of roses for my birthday. Truly, a Chennai Super King amongst men. The sad thing is, he'll probably never read this and realise how appreciated all of his help was. So I suppose, in many ways, he is like Van Gogh. Apart from Van Gogh never did shit for me.

Joel - 1, Ginger Earless Prick - Zilch.


No comments:

Post a Comment